Happy Valentine’s Day, lovers everywhere!
Yeah, call me sappy. I’ve always been. So, Valentine’s Day is one of my favorite holidays of the year; a chance to let my sweetie know what I tell her every other day…that she rocks my world!!
In that spirit, I present to you 10 of my favorite rock and roll love songs. Of course, not every rock and roll love song has to be slow!
10. If Not For You – Bob Dylan. Far and away, my favorite Dylan song, and a sweet sentiment.
9. Lucky Number – Lene Lovich. Punk rock love songs were always so clever! BIG Lene Lovich fan here. I couldn’t, and still can’t, get enough of this track!
8. Calico Skies – Paul McCartney. Jeez, I can’t even listen to this one without bawling like an infant. Paul, how do you come up with these insanely beautiful melodies???
7. I’m Gonna Crawl – Led Zeppelin. Love song, Zeppelin-style. Perfect. Page’s solo is divine!!
6. I Love You – Climax Blues Band. Sweet vocal by Derek Holt on a song I was always surprised wasn’t a bigger hit.
5. And You And I – Yes. When they break into the bit about “A clearer future, morning, evening, nights with you” at the end of the song, and go into that long instrumental break, I lose it every time. I’m welling up as I’m typing this, for s–t’s sake! Well done, gents!
4. You’re My Best Friend – Queen. John Deacon, now retired bass player, wrote this for his wife, and I couldn’t agree more with the sentiment!
3. Reason For Waiting – Jethro Tull. My brother Bill worked at WMMR in 1969 and the first time I heard this staggeringly beautiful song was when he played it one night.
2. Your Song – Elton John. This timeless love song takes my breath away, and has ever since I first saw Elton perform it (with my MOM!) on television in early 1971.
1. I Will – The Beatles. To me, this is the one. Such a simple melody of guitar and vocal, with minimal percussion, but with a message so very sweet. The quintessential love song, in my humble opinion.
Of course, there are hundreds more and I’d love to hear your favorites!