Missing those game day gatherings with the cheesy dips and ice-cold beers, the shouting and laughing, and the team spirit? We are, too!
But even though we’re still hosting our big events virtually, that doesn’t mean they can’t feel like a real party! All it takes is a little preparation, some team spirit, and a hearty helping of good food to bring that game day feeling to our friends and family. Check out these ideas to make your next virtual watch party a day to remember!
It’s important to pick your viewing platform ahead of time because, depending on the service you choose, all members may need to download an app for their mobile phones or computers, create a user account, or even subscribe to the same streaming service.
- Decide on Tech Ahead of Time – Make sure you’ve decided which streaming service and watch party platform you’ll be using to host the party. Everyone coming to the watch party will have to be on board, and it may involve some research beforehand. Read on for a couple of tech options.
- Watch Party Platforms – If you’re unfamiliar with the latest watch party tech, check out Sling TV’s Watch Party or Yahoo! Sports Watch Together. These platforms allow you to see your friends’ screens on the side and a large display of the game front and center.
- Test-Run the Tech – Do a test-run with the technology. Try your screen sharing with at least one of the invitees the day before the game to make sure you know how to share your screen, find the right site to share the game, and get the sound and visuals as clear as possible for all parties. You’ll want to be able to hear Uncle Ray’s one-liners as well as the commentators’ play-by-plays.
Half the fun of a watch party is the team spirit atmosphere. Your virtual game day party can be just as packed with personality and fun!
- Team Colors – Create the atmosphere for your virtual crowd by hanging a team banner behind where you’ll be seen in the video call. Or, relocate all your team posters there and drape your sofa in color-coordinated throws and apparel.
- Team Spirit Contest – Tell everyone who’ll be at your virtual party there’s a contest for the screen with the most team spirit and see what they come up with!
- Fan Gear – Encourage all invitees to wear team colors and team gear. No one’s allowed in without at least a jersey!
“Shared” Drinks & Apps
- Choose Your Menu – Decide on a shared drink or appetizer with the whole crew. This will be one thing each member of the watch party will commit to having at their house so that you’ll all be sharing in the experience of eating or drinking it.
Maybe everyone makes Kevin’s 7-Layer dip, or the first beer everyone drinks is Maria’s favorite brand with a slice of lime.
- Prepare a half-time activity that gets you interacting virtually. Maybe it’s a pickle-eating contest, an online trivia game, or a cocktail-making tutorial by one of your attendees.
Whatever it is you choose for half-time, put an emphasis on interaction. You may be physically apart for this watch party, but you’re all enjoying it together!
Use these tips to up your game as the Host With the Most by creating a virtual version of everyone’s favorite event. All it takes is a little preparation, and your virtual watch party can feel just as spirited as last year’s in-person party. So call up the gang and tell them to break out their team gear–it’s Game Day!