Stevie Wonder to Undergo Kidney Transplant, Will Take a Break From Performing
Music icon Stevie Wonder announced Saturday at a concert in Hyde Park in England that he will be taking a break from music to undergo a kidney transplant, according to multiple reports.
The transplant will take place this September, Wonder revealed during a July 6 performance in the U.K. He made the announcement with the intention of putting “rumors” about his health to rest.
“I’m all good, I’m all good, all good, I have a donor and it’s all good,” he told fans as he revealed that he will undergo the surgery. “I want you to know, I came here to give you my love and thank you for your love.”
“You ain’t got to hear no rumors,” he added. “I told you what’s up. I am good. I love you and God bless you.”
Wonder, 69, said he will perform three more shows before beginning the medical hiatus.
The news comes just days after the Detroit Free Press ran a story that said he was suffering from a “serious but manageable” health issue. Sources told the Press that Wonder had been traveling with a medical team.
“He’s got some health challenges, but he doesn’t want a big PR thing out of this,” musician Joan Belgrave, a friend of Wonder’s told the Press.
Wonder’s rep, Shelley Selover, declined to comment on the July 3 story, telling the Press: “Please know that nothing is verified unless it comes directly from us.”
Check out footage of his announcement below: