This Phillies 2023 NLCS Loss Goes Directly to the Pantheon of Bad Philadelphia Losses
Well, they did it. The Phillies managed to completely choke away home field advantage and a 2-0 series lead. This Phillies 2023 NLCS loss goes directly to the pantheon of bad Philadelphia losses. It can now live with the worst Philadelphia sports loss, when the Eagles closed Veteran Stadium with a NFC Championship loss to the Buccaneers. There were many reasons this loss happened, but the most glaring being their superstars disappeared. I mean completely vanished in games 6 & 7. 3 for 36 between Schwarber, Turner, Harper, Realmuto & Castellanos. Just atrocious. You know what, let’s run down the reasons for this series loss before we figure out where to fit this in the Pantheon of bad Philadelphia losses.
1. The superstars going 3-36 in games 6 and 7.
2.Craig Kimbrel’s game 4 disaster.
3. Rob Thompson refusing to change the lineup around when Alec Bohm was struggling behind Bryce Harper. Giving Arizona no reason to have to throw anything good or straight to Harper.
4. A bad 2nd inning from Aaron Nola in game 6, when the bats had decided they needed a break.
5. Dusty Wathan holding Bryson Stott at 3rd base instead of testing the left fielder’s rag arm to get the Phillies 3rd run in game 7.
Just a gross way to lose a series that they had no business losing. Now let’s see where this fits in the pantheon of bad Philadelphia losses from the last 30 years.
1. Eagles losing NFC Championship game to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. It was the last game at Veterans Stadium, the Buccaneers had a horrendous record when playing in temperatures below 30. The Eagles scored 2 plays into the game, which ended up being their only TD in a disastrous 27-10 loss! I believe Joe Jurevicius is still running away from Eagles defenders.
2. The 102 win Phillies team losing the NLDS in 5 games series to the St. Louis Cardinals. Not only did Roy Halladay throw a gem, but Ryan Howard made the final out and tore his achilles trying to run to first. He was never the same after that. Oh, they also had a ridiculous pitching staff, Roy Halladay, Cliff Lee, Cole Hamels and Roy Oswalt. Still couldn’t get the job done.
3. I think this Phillies 2023 NLCS loss fits right here in the three hole. I think this loss is as equally disappointing as the above Phillies loss, but I’ll rank it lower because 2011 was the end of that Phillies era. They didn’t make the playoffs again until last year. This series loss was terrible, but only because this current Phillies team’s window isn’t closed do I rank this at #3.
4. All of the other NFC Championship game choke jobs by McNabb and Reid.
5. Kawhi Leonard’s buzzer beater in Game 7 of the NBA playoffs. He tossed up a running corner three with a 7 foot Joel Embiid jumping, hand in his face. The ball bounced on the rim 4 times before going in, continuing the Sixers 2nd round playoff exits.
Don’t take off the clown makeup, just change the Phillies sweatshirt to an Eagles sweatshirt. This is our life. We get ridiculously close, jacked up with excitement to only have it come crashing down. We are like Prometheus enduring the same punishment over and over.
Here, read something that will bring joy to your day…